Why You Should Never Crack Your Own Neck or Back
Do you often crack your neck or back?
Want to prevent future back and neck issues?
Cracking your neck or back can cause more damage than you might think. The spine is made up of vertebrae that hold the bundle of nerves known as the spinal cord that leads to the brain. Manipulating the spine is a delicate process and should be left to professionals.
Here are four reasons why you shouldn’t crack your neck or back yourself:
- It’s addictive ‒ When you crack your joints, endorphins are released into your system. These endorphins provide a satisfactory feeling and can mask your discomfort or pain, but this is only temporary. The neck or back will return to its previous state and your discomfort will return. It becomes a vicious cycle: the more you crack, the more you’ll have to do it to feel normal, causing even more damage.
- Cracking stretches out ligaments ‒ Ligaments can be permanently stretched or damaged. This can lead to osteoarthritis, a condition where the cartilage that sits between vertebrae can wear down. This can decrease your range of motion and lead to further joint damage and pain.
- Can cause pinched nerves ‒ By stretching and twisting your body in unsafe ways or going too far, you can pinch a nerve. Pinched nerves are painful and will only increase your discomfort.
- Can increase your pain ‒ If your pain or discomfort is due to an injury such as a slipped disc, cracking the injured area could make your condition even worse.
If you are cracking your neck or back often, your problem is misalignment. While cracking might provide some relief, cracking doesn’t fix the misalignment. You need to get your spine adjusted by a chiropractor.
Activator Chiropractors Near Me
Have you seen rough manual chiropractic adjustments?
Are you concerned that might happen to you?
At Thatcher Chiropractic & Laser, we understand your worries. We only use the Activator tool for gentle adjustments, with no rough cracking or twisting. The Activator tool is a small instrument that uses a gentle thrust at a high velocity to make the changes your body requires to function optimally. Dr. Thatcher has been using the Activator since he was in chiropractic college and is an expert in Activator adjustments.
We work with insurance! Next month is the deadline for choosing 2022 insurance. We are in network with:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Care Network of Michigan
- Priority Health
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Physicians Health Plan
If you’ve been searching for a “chiropractor near me” to help with your discomfort, call Thatcher Chiropractic & Laser today! 734-663-2300