What Pillows to Use for Neck Pain
Are you tired of waking up with a sore neck?
Do you have a hard time getting a good night’s sleep because you can’t get comfortable on your pillows?
So many Americans have a hard time sleeping. Sleep deprivation can impact your weight, your concentration and productivity, athletic performance, and energy throughout the day. If you’re not getting the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep per night, you need to make a change.
When is the last time you thought about how your pillow is supporting you?
Is your pillow literally a barrier between you and a good night’s sleep?
Choosing the Right Pillow
The goal when choosing a pillow is to keep your neck right in the midline of your body. If you sleep on your side, you don’t want your head to be sagging toward the mattress when you lay down at night – you want your head and neck to be supported. Similarly, if you sleep on your back, you don’t want to crunch the back of your neck with a super fluffy pillow.
Here are Dr. Thatcher’s dos and don’ts for picking the right pillow:
- Choose a standard pillow. The standard pillow shape and size is Dr. Thatcher’s preferred pillow. A firm, fiber-filled pillow vs. a down-filled pillow is the best option.
- Are you a side sleeper or back sleeper? If you prefer sleeping on your side, you need a thicker pillow to support your neck. If you’re a back sleeper, you need a thinner pillow to keep your head level with your spine.
- Choose Dr. Thatcher’s favorite pillow: Dr. Thatcher loves a buckwheat husk pillow. They’re rather firm, which is great for neck support. It provides very consistent support.
- Pick a contoured pillow. While this may provide temporary relief when you first start using it, this type of pillow can actually make discomfort worse.
- Go for down-filled. This material can compress over time and won’t give you consistent support.
If changing out your pillow still doesn’t improve your neck pain, your pain could be caused by a deeper issue. To find out for sure, it’s best to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor who can help diagnose the cause of your pain and help you find relief.
Get Back to Feeling Great with the Best Chiropractor in Ann Arbor
If neck pain from a bad pillow gives you neck pain in the morning, regular adjustments from your chiropractor can help.
Nervous about having your neck adjusted? Some chiropractors will twist and crack your neck to make adjustments, which can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Dr. Thatcher uses an Activator instrument that makes gentle, precise adjustments to your vertebrae. You can rest assured that Dr. Thatcher takes your safety seriously. He was not only voted the best chiropractor in Ann Arbor, but also in Southeast Michigan!
Restore your hope and relieve your pain with an adjustment from Dr. Thatcher. Contact us today to set up an appointment.